Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hey All!
Welcome to my new Blog- VegMomRuns.  On this site I will be discussing the trials and tribulations of being a working mom, runner, yogi, vegetarian, student, and everything else that goes on in my little spot in the world.  I won't try to feed you too much granola-crunchy bullshit, but that is a little part of who I am. 
Let's start with a little meet 'n' greet..My name is Brooke and I am a 30 something parent living in PA with a three-year-old, husband, three dogs, and occasional fish.  Presently I am a student at Millersville University and I do some volunteering with various running programs and I also do some private coaching.  Oh yeah, and I work as a bartender for weddings on the weekends.  It's kind of a busy life, but somehow it works out. 
Today I started my day by waking up at the butt-crack of dawn so I could haul it to the YMCA to do a treadmill workout and watch some trashy music videos uninterrupted.  Don't get me wrong, running on a treadmill sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.  After that, I decided that it was a great day to learn how to take kidney beans from the state of "red gravel" to deliciousness.  This has taken FOREVER.  I am all about cheap cooking, but this is insane.  Next time I'll just opt for the canned version.  Right now, I have my kid parked in front of some movie that he knows the dialogue to.  I actually do feel bad about this fact, but sometimes you have to choose your battles I guess.  Tonight we are headed to "power yoga" so dinners going to be a quickie and the recipe is listed below if you are interested.  I always thought the association of "power" and "yoga" was ridiculous, but it actually kicks my ass.  Strange the things we look forward to in a day......Thanks for checking out my new blog and I'll see ya soon!

Red Beans and Quinoa
1/2 c diced yellow onion
1/2 c diced green pepper (you can use any color pepper-- get crazy)
1tbsp veg oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-14oz cans of kidney beans (or 4 cups of cooked beans)
1/2 c BBQ sauce
1 1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
2 c cooked Quinoa, hot

Saute the onions and peppers in oil for about 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.  Add the beans, BBQ, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and pepper.  Cook until warmed through.  Divide the quinoa evenly among 4 plates and top with beans. 



2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your recipes and craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this and can't wait to follow your posts :)!

    ReplyDelete