Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Today we will address why I am 99% vegetarian.  I come from a pool of DNA that enjoys meat.  Our family doesn't just like meat, they dwell on meat and meat preparation to the extent that I think we own enough cooking mechanisms to fill a small fire house.  I decided to pretty much cut out meat for a variety of reasons.  First, I am the type of person who can't just eat one piece of bacon, it has to be a pound.  This was getting a little excessive.  I was living the Atkin's diet meat dream.  Secondly, I wanted to show my little boy that fruits (and veggies) are not only flavorings, but actual things.  Thirdly, I wanted to find new ways to save some bucks at the grocery store.  Through my extensive cookbook buying spree on Amazon I have learned a lot about vegetarianism and sustainability. Did you know that pb&j sandwiches could literally save the world? If we focused on feeding our children nutritionally complete plant based meals we could save millions of acres of farmland that is wasted growing feed for animals.   I wouldn't say I am necessarily opposed to ever consuming meat again, I would just kind of like to stay away from eating critters.  I kind of enjoy animals too.  If you just open your mind a little and try something new, sometimes you can find you really enjoy it.  This is how I feel about vegetarianism.  Below is one of my favorite breakfasts.  It sounds weird to have quinoa for b-fast, but check it out.  It is super delish.

Inca Quinoa
1c quinoa cooked in 2 c water (see that package for instructions)
1 c non-dairy milk (I use vanilla almond or soy milk)
1/2 c flaked coconut (not the sweetened stuff--use the real deal)
1 tsp vanilla
1 or 2 very ripe bananas
dash of cinnamon
dash of sea salt
a few tablespoons of agave syrup or pure maple syrup

Allow the quinoa to cool for a few minutes, then combine everything in a food processor or blender and blend it to smooth.  I have a small blender so I do this in two batches.


No comments:

Post a Comment